The library opened its doors in on April 30, 1903, due to the generosity of Andrew Carnegie, who believed that education is the cornerstone of success. At that time, Connellsville was the leading coke producer in the world and immigrants were flocking here to work in the mines and coke works. Built in the sandstone in the Italianate manner, the building housed books and magazines and offered early patrons both educational and recreational reading, as well as musical evenings in the second floor auditorium. The library was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981. Library patrons now have access to more than a million volumes including magazines, e-books, audio books, music and movies through the WAGGIN network.
Carnegie Free Library